Sunday, February 3, 2013

Happy Groundhogs Day

So the little guy saw his shadow so I'm pretty sure that means the Ravens are going to win the Super Bowl!...

Taking a cue from a dear friend, my husband and I roll Christmas and Valentine's Day into one glorious evening celebrated on whatever day Groundhog's Day falls on.  It's brilliant really.  There is non of the stress of Christmas or the pressure of Valentine's Day.  We always go to our favorite restaurant which, to us, is like having dinner at a dear friend's house.

That favorite restaurant of ours is a Nepalese place is Mount Vernon in Baltimore called Kumari.  The service is extremely friendly, the food is scrumptious and the atmosphere is cozy and exotic. 

They have some wonderful art on the wall representing Nepal and Buddhist culture and for years my husband has been urging me to do a painting to give to them for their collection.

I love painting landscapes and thought that a mountain scene would go wonderfully with the other art in their collection.

The mountains are part of the Annapurna- a section of the Himalayas in Nepal.  "Annapurna" is a Sanskrit name which literally means "full of food" but is typically translated to mean "Goddess of the Harvests" and has an association with Lakshmi- the Hindu goddess of Wealth.  Of course I thought this an appropriate depiction for a restaurant and deserving of a lovely gilt frame.






This is what I came up with.  It is an oil on canvas based on an image I found on the internet.  I really loved the color harmonies and the inclusion of some buildings.  They were pretty ecstatic!  What a wonderful way to celebrate Groundhog's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment