Monday, November 5, 2012

Splurges, Christie Brinkley and Detox Salads

Personal finance is something that I try not to take lightly.  I own Suze Orman books, have a savings account, clip coupons and bring a calculator to the grocery store.  I try to be responsible with my money.  That is why I have decided to cancel my previously mentioned very-expensive gym membership.  I realize now that it was a totally frivolus impulse-buy.  They lured me in with a free trial and then they got me... hook, line and sinker!

I told my husband that I am so glad I decided now that this was a bad deal for me rather than 6 months or a year from now.  Granted, I don't think that my month has been a total wash.  I have been going and working out which is definitely more than can be said for a lot of people!  It is just was more money than it is worth for me.

I also take issue with the fact that I never see anyone wiping down equipment after they use it.  I am suspicious that that is how I may have gotten sick last month.  It has been such pain to wipe everything down and use the equipment and then have to wipe it down again after I noticed that.  This is a seemingly minor detail but it can totally mess up the flow of your workout!

I am going to attempt to continue with my fitness regimen at home.  I have some videos and some equipment.  My landlord is storing a Total Gym that I have been keen on trying.  Watch out, Christie Brinkley!  Ha!  I also love jogging and biking and, of course, walking my dog.

On a sort-of related note, I know that I haven't been eating all that great lately.  You know how it is when you're busy and you get carry-out too often and maybe have a couple of glasses of wine and just start to feel gross.  I found this recipe for Apple-Cabbage Detox Salad and it was way more delicious than I could have hoped.  I subbed a box of already-cut cole slaw mix that had multi color cabbage and carrot matchsticks for the cabbages and maple syrup for the agave.  I didn't have walnuts so I threw in some sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and unsalted pistachios.

I think the dressing would be great as just a nice simple guilt-free creamy salad dressing to use on other salads.  I'm so happy to have found this recipe.  It is really pretty, too.  I think it might even be a great side dish at a potluck-- maybe even Thanksgiving?  I will have to ask my sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment