Thursday, March 7, 2013

Vegan Challenge Update + P90X and Protein Shakes

Day 22 of my vegan challenge.  Day 11 of P90X.  I've also been jogging with my husband who is on a marathon training regimen.  I am... in a word... pretty exhausted.  I am definitely seeing changes in my body and I feel great otherwise but my energy has been somewhat sapped.  I partially blame the fact that we have been out of protein supplement in our house for a few weeks.

My husband and I had been a fan of the Market Pantry brand Whey Protein at Target.  For the money it is a great-tasting effective protein supplement.

When I decided to go vegan the first time around-- back in September, I bought some stuff at Whole Foods called Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein Powder.  The first time I drank it I was disgusted.  It was gritty and earthy tasting and didn't blend well with water or soy/almond milk at all.  In fact, after a while the smell began to nauseate me.  It ruined many a fruit smoothie.  I had to hold my nose to choke it down and then chase it with orange juice or something to get the taste out of my mouth.  I trudged on with it because I felt obligated to finish it because it was perfectly good protein powder-- I just detested the taste, texture and smell!

Well, it is finally gone and while I was working on that, the hubs finished the last of the whey protein that was hanging around.

I finally got around to researching better tasting vegan protein powders.  I really wanted to be totally decadent and order the Vega One Nutritional Shake but I really couldn't justify the price.  I've ordered various supplements-- including MRM Veggie Protein Powder from Vitacost and am anxiously awaiting their arrival.  I'm a little disappointed that the products are being shipped from different warehouses and are taking their time getting here.  A little frustrating considering I ordered a 30 lb. bag of dog food from Wag.com yesterday afternoon and it arrived today!  Oh, modern conveniences...  I am spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment